Illustration of Card Components
Description of Card Components
This is the name of the card. When referenced in the card text on another card it will have 「」 around it.
- Character cards are denoted by "CH" above the card name and are your primary means of combat in the game. They are mainly played in the Main Phase of the game.
- Event cards are denoted by "EV" above the card name and are cards with varying effect; their play requirement is the same as that of character cards, but are generally fire and forget and do not stay around on the battlefield.
- Climax cards are denoted by "CX" above the card name and are cards with powerful abilities that could change the tide of battle; all climax cards only last the turn they are played, and can only be played during the active player's Climax Phase. They are also the only cards capable of negating soul damage, for this reason, each deck is restricted to a maximum of 8 climax cards.
Cards numbers provide a a great deal of information about the card. They indicate the specific series the card is from, what side the card is (i.e. Weiß or Schwarz), if it is from a Trial Deck, Booster Pack, or Extra Pack, and what the rarity of the card is. For more details, see the Card Number page.
Only Character and Event Cards have levels, and they cannot be played if the player is not same level or higher.
Only Character and Event Cards have cost, and they cannot be played if the player does not pay the cost.
This icon is present on some Character Cards and Event Cards, and it indicates that the card or its Startup Ability may be used during the Counter Step of the Attack Phase of the active player's turn.
Card and/or Flavor Text
The Card Text provides additional information on card functions and abilities. Cards with no additional functions or abilities will not have any Card Text. Flavor Text provides additional information about the card that has no effect on the game mechanics. Not all cards will have Flavor Text.
Only Character Cards have this attribute, and it is used to determine the outcome of battles between two characters in the Battle Step of the Attack Phase.
Soul Points is used in the calculation of the amount of damage to the opposing player when the active player attacks.
Each Character Card is given up to 2 characteristic based on its series, although rare, there are also cards with no characteristic, and cards that could gain a third characteristic via its ability. Certain card effects depend on these, and some Deck strategies rely heavily upon cards of same characteristic to function efficiently. For more details see Characteristic.
All cards in Weiß Schwarz belongs to one of the four colors, Yellow, Green, Red and Blue, each of which generally contain cards that specialize in certain areas. The description below only gives a general outline, and only highlight the focus of the color. It does not mean that only Yellow cards have bounce abilities or only Red cards have removal abilities. It is also important when playing cards, as a card cannot be played unless a card of the same color is in the Level Area or the Clock Area (unless it is a Level 0 Character or Event card).
- Yellow contains many automatic Power pump abilities capable of boosting characters in the player's own turn and are able to perform removal via a variety of bounce effect to destroy the opponent's battle lineup. Coupled with powerful Soul pump ability, Yellow decks are designed offensively to defeat opponent quickly. Although powerful on paper, the high Soul Points when attacking also means that most Yellow decks are susceptible to damage cancel, and is disadvantaged due to the game system. By its nature most Yellow decks are strong in the turn player's own turn and weak in the opponent's turn. Despite its weakness however, there are also many Yellow cards with unique effect such as level up, CIP(card in play) super pump, hand destruction, level down and invulnerability to opponent card effects. With clever application of Yellow's unique effect and combined with several control mechanism such as top decking opponent to increase chances of a successful attack, Yellow can be a powerful color in the right hands.
- Green cards are strong in Power pump, and contains many expensive, but powerful overcost characters, they also contains a variety of counter cards and Stock boost ability to support the costly playstyle of Green cards, generally speaking, Green place its focus on battle between characters. Unlike their Yellow counterparts, many of Green card's pump abilities are activated abilities with a cost, in return for their cost, level 0 Green cards can sometimes beat down even a level 3 opponent. This however, also means that in situation where the effect cannot be activated, such as when the cost cannot be paid or in opponent's turn where activated ability cannot be used, Green cards are considerably weak. Due to their heavy emphasis on overcost characters, Green cards are also weak against removal effect such as bounce or being sent to stock. Green cards also contains the ability to decrease opponent's attack(which can be used to kill weak backrow characters) and cards that increases their own clock. Green cards also possesses backrow character which have both general support pump and pump for specific cards, potentially allowing for a quadraple pump for character in the center front area. However, due to their lack of stability, Green cards are on the whole considered one of the weaker colour.
- The ultra-color that contains many cards for burn, salvage and removal, most of which directly leads to victory. Character wise, Red offer a stable lineup of vanilla characters, powerful level 3s, cards that kill opponent when killed, characters capable of salvage and characters capable of oversizing despite certain drawbacks. Due to the ability to salvage, Red is considered the best colour when it comes to attrition battle. Other characteristic of Red includes the ability to remove cards from the waiting room or send cards to the top of opponent deck. There is no doubt that Red is one of the strongest color in Weiß Schwarz.
- The color that represents defense, many Blue characters have opponent turn self-pump or special encore abilities that increases their survival ability, Blue is also equipped with the ability to heal and improve drawing power. Although in most card games healing strategy tends not to be the mainstream, in Weiß Schwarz due to the system's nature where 「dealing damage is uncertain due to damage canceling, but healing is certain」, healing strategy, and thus Blue cards are often in an advantageous position. Blues are also strong in attrition battle due to their improved draw abilities and is often the candidate for a secondary colour due to the importance of hand-advantage.